Have Toddler, Will Travel: Carry Ons

Our first trip to Maine is about a week away, so I'm thinking carry ons! I feel like we fly fairly often but it tends to be in clusters. A bunch during the Summer and a bunch during the Winter, which means that with about 6 months in between traveling clusters, it's like having a brand new kid to travel with. The stuff that kept her happy 6 months ago may or may not cut it this time, but I'm feeling fairly prepared...ish.

Pre-baby, I prided myself on traveling light. Carry ons only and a sleek, pared down purse. You've probably guessed that's not how we roll now. We're gate check, maximum number of carry ons, stuffed absolutely to capacity people now. Oh heyy.

We've got a four hour flight to Boston (direct because ain't nobody got time for missed connections with a temperamental toddler) and then a four hour drive. We could fly directly into my home town, but again, a 54 minute layover in Philly makes me way too nervous (if you've ever sprinted to Terminal F, you feel me) so this way I figure if the flight is an absolute nightmare, we'll be in the car for the rest of the trip and won't have to subject another plane full of people to our issues. Oh, and it's like another $1000 to fly directly into Bangor. The joys of small town living. Anyway, here's what I'll be packing for our "twip on a pwane to Maine":



I'll keep it light for myself, because I can promise you I probably won't be leisurely reading a book or watching a movie. This little cross body bag will hold my ID, credit cards, and phone from security until the plane door closes. My bags tend to turn into black holes, preventing me from finding my ID at critical moments, or my debit card when I absolutely need a people magazine and some M&Ms. This way the important stuff is close at hand when I need it. Then it gets tucked in my pink tote (leaving my good leather totes at home and sticking with this Old Navy one because spills will happen) with loads of snacks (because food is straight up entertainment while traveling) and a change of clothes for O once we board the plane. I'll also stuff  the rest of my wallet, sunglasses, and the bare beauty basics of lip balm and a hair brush in there. I'm sure you're aware that plane hair = horrible hair and I'll probably wear a baseball hat since I know it will be a lost cause. 


Liv will tote around her little Pottery Barn Kids backpack (this is the small size) stuffed with hopefully enough activities to keep her happily occupied until we touch down in Boston.


Mess free coloring kits (Water Wow and Color Wonder are the best), a fresh chapstick (her new favorite toy), lots more snacks (this water bottle is the best, most leak proof one I've ever found), headphones, and the tablet are my go-to's. For her tablet we bought an Amazon Kindle Fire for a couple reasons. 

1. It's cheap, well cheaper than an iPad. We had to repair two iPads after they spent a few minutes in her possession (even in cases) and we were over it. For $99 and an insurance plan that will replace it no matter what happens to it, I'm sold.

 2. This thing is freaking durable. Drop it, spill on it, run it over with your Cozy Coupe, whatever. It can take it.

3. Since she's not sharing it with us, we can fill that thing to the brim with movies and shows and not have to worry about running out of room for our precious apps and digital content. We're selfish like that.

She doesn't use a ton of apps these days, just loves to watch her Disney Jr. shows and movies on it, cackling out loud every few minutes in this adorable (albeit slightly evil) laugh. I've downloaded a dozen new episodes of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse that she hasn't seen before and we should be ok. To be honest, I'm really relying on the tablet and the snacks to get us through. Movie/show suggestions your kiddos love are so so welcome!

Copious quantities of wipes will obviously be making the journey with us (as well as a gallon of hand sanitizer since she never met a germ ridden surface she didn't just love) and since my potty trained little lady is petrified of public restrooms (the loud flush totally wigs her out), we'll be resorting to pull ups for the day. Regression, shmegression, it's just not worth a traumatized kid.

Finally, she'll have a sweatshirt in case the plane is cool (this Purl Lamb hoodie is new and I just love the ears on the hood) and because Maine gets stinking cold! I know I'm going to lose all my New England cred in just a second, but temperatures in the 50's feel freezing to me now. 

And that's it. Wish us luck, ok? Fingers crossed she doesn't drop her bottoms and accidentally pee on the floor of baggage claim at Logan Airport like she did last July...I really don't want to go two for two on that one.

8 comments:

  1. You're so prepared! And so early! I have never not checked bags on a flight! I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this post! We just returned to Atlanta from Wisconsin with our 17-month old and I felt like we took everything under the sun with us on our flight! Having that much luggage and carry-on stuff gave my anxiety; I don't know how people fly with more than one kid :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What brand of headphones are those for Olivia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to link them! They're Kidz Gear and available on Amazon!

      Delete
  4. I nanny a little girl who is going through potty training, and petrified of public toilet noises too. Not sure if you've tried the simple, cover your ears so you can't hear it (seems so simple, i know)....but it worked wonders for her and she has no issues anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips for carry ons and traveling with kiddos! Don't think we'll be flying with our quads anytime soon. They're 3 now, but we are waiting until we can avoid the cranky tired tantrums and "I have to go poddy" 50 times.....sooooo, like when they're 18?! Lol.

    And, btw, I have to thank you for your wonderful product review and recommends posts you do. You totally got me hooked on that tinted eyebrow gel and I LOVE IT! Really enjoy your blog, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your trip! I got those headphones for noah after your last travel post! And I guess I should be glad noah is gentle with his iPad, cause so far we've had no issues at all. We did get a case though that says you can drop it from 8 feet and it won't break lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pictures on your blog, they´re always beautifully arranged!
    x Mila https://matchlessmila.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips