Loving Long Distance

With Mother's Day just a couple of weeks away, I've been little homesick, like I usually am when holidays/special occasions roll around. I like to think I have a fair amount of experience with long distance relationships, but it's still hard sometimes.

The two years before we got engaged, Ryan and I lived in different states, and I haven't lived-in the same state as my family for the past six years. We keep moving further away and while sometimes it seems like it's harder the more miles we have between us, we seem to keep finding more ways to stay connected. Liv knows exactly who my parents are and the day they came to visit last month, she greeted my mother at the door with "MY GIGI!!" so I'm a big believer of the power of technology.

We have a little book with everyone's photos in it, we FaceTime almost every night with my parents, and most recently my mom has set up something pretty darn cool. She created a private YouTube channel where she posts videos of herself reading O's favorite books. My sister and dad just recorded videos as well that will soon be added to what we're calling "Gigi's Library".

When I say that the nugget L-O-V-E-S it, I'm not exaggerating. She asks for "Gigi, book - boom boom!" when she wants to watch Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. This has really helped her disinterest in books and I think it's just about the cutest thing ever.


Finding special ways to keep O connected to my family is really important to me and I just loved this particular way so much that I had to blog about it! I'm anxious to know if you all have any fabulous ways you stay connected!

9 comments:

  1. I love this! <3 I couldn't imagine living so far from my family- you are definitely one strong Mama! I LOVE the "GiGi's Library" that is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has to be the best idea I've heard in a while! While we live close to family, my brother and sister in law don't live near us or her family. This sounds like a great idea to do with their kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that idea so much! Most of my family lives across the ocean and I totally understand that constant homesick feeling. This is so special and I'm sure Olivia will treasure it. I hope you can see them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I was as connected with my extended family as I am with my immediate family. Thankfully my mom and I live close enough. I think your idea of reading books is wonderful! What a great way to have her close despite the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet!!! I love how technology can keep us together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the YouTube Channel idea! My family is about 2 hours away by car which isn't that far but we are so close that it seems far! We always Face Time and make trips back and forth every couple of weekends! I also send lots of pictures and I have pictures of my family all over the house! Stay strong momma!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a fabulous idea!! My family is all in Atlanta so we do a lot face-timing as well with all of them!! My mom is a preschool teacher so she will teach the kids the songs and read them stories---They absolutely love it!! But I am completely with you on the power of technology!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looove this idea!! I completely understand how you feel as I'm from Houston but I moved to Lonon to be with the love of my life. We just FaceTime everyday (almost) and my fiancé and I make trips to texas 3 times a year. As my Mom has always said about children- it's quality time over quantity!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips