People Always Ask...

....how can you live in Texas? It's so hot there.

I should add that these people are all from New England where 80 degrees is a legitimate heat wave. So while all my relatives are buried under 30+ inches of snow, I'm enjoying January in Texas.


It's been in the 70's here and it's been iced coffees, trips to the pond down the street to feed the fish, and lots of ball kicking/throwing/interpretive dance in our absolute most fashionable outfits.

jacket (similar)


Granted, the Summer is no joke here. It's haht. 

Thank goodness for AC, pools all over the darn place, and snow cones daily. The Winter though? Just right. This is how I comfort my homesick self during January (the longest month of the year, am I right?). 

We've lived in Texas for 18 months now and last night I told Ryan "I officially love it here". I think he was a little relieved since he asked me to give Houston 2 years and if I didn't like it he'd find a different job. Even though his hours are cah-razy and the stress can be a real b, he actually really likes his job and I don't think he's ready to move on. And I hate moving.

For the past six years we've lived in 2 year increments : 2 years until he goes to grad school, then two years until he finishes grad school, then two years in Texas to see how it goes. You get the gist. I'm so happy that as we round the corner on year number two that we have no plans to do anything other than sink our roots a little deeper into this place. 

It can be a risky little game, putting all your eggs in your husband's basket, you know? Letting his career steer our family's metaphorical minivan was a big gamble for us, but it's definitely been for the best. Before we moved here I was an anxious mess about starting over in a new place with a 7 month old (at the time) and no family for two thousand miles. If I'd known how awesome the Winter was going to be though, I would have hustled to Houston a heck of a lot quicker. 

So long story short, this is the time of year where we normally start looking for a new place to live, making moving arrangements, and all that exhausting stuff, but we're staying put and it's kind of awesome.

Kinda kicks those January blues.


12 comments:

  1. i'm glad you are loving it there. i couldn't imagine having to move again and find a new house again! UGH! I HATE moving!!!

    and i love the little dress!!! too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome :) I have to say I'm jealous of your January's! Love the first photo of Liv sitting by the pond, so sweet. I know the feeling of starting out in a new place, and I kind of feel as though I'm in the same place as you are right now... although the place Adam and I have settled isn't as glamorous as Texan January's... we get the average mild chinook that brings the temperature up to about 10 degreed celcius... I don't know what it is in Ferenheit but let me tell you, you wouldn't be impressed HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I'm definitely jealous of your winters! And while it's obviously not the same as living close to family, it seems like you get to visit them a fair amount for how far away you guys are. My family moved multiple times when I was a kid and I was happy when we finally settled in one place. While moving was an adventure it was also nice to finally put some roots somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for you!!! :) And jealous of that weather, we are freezing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right. Texas is pretty awesome. I'm glad you are starting to enjoy it here! You know what they say, once you go Texan, you never go back ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post! :) I love living in Houston too and though I changed my entire life to move here, I don't regret it for a second!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! I keep telling my husband that I am game to pack up and move anywhere as long as it has a coast within 2 hours driving distance. I am so ready for a fresh start somewhere with affordable housing and being able to spend time with my favorite girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy for you that you love it there! We lived in Texas for a while and I loved it -especially the winters picnics in the park, walking outside without freezing. And the summers were great because there are pools everywhere. We've been in a similar situation to you all, moving or thinking about moving every few years since we've been married. I can't wait for that one day when we will finally feel settled and love where we are. Enjoy your Texas January!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you've hit your Texas-groove and how wonderful for you and your family to sink your roots deeper. And you can't beat the weather!

    xx Viv at JoieDeViv

    ReplyDelete
  10. The hardest part of moving to the Houston area for me was knowing it meant we were done with living in the Hill Country. Thank goodness for local mommy groups and good friends that have made this area home for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I moved from New England to Houston 5 years ago. Each year it get easier to love not digging my car out of the snow, but each year I miss living close to skiing and the beach. Then I remember that every where down here has central air, whereas when I visit family in Connecticut I have to be prepared to sleep with just a fan and sometimes no a/c in august....gross.. So glad you are liking HTX!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I lived in Texas, I live in Actual England (!) and its cold and miserable here!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips