Our Own Traditions

With our time in Maine coming to a close I'm thinking about the months ahead before we come back. We'll have visitors and really love living in Texas, so it's not as though I'm dreading going back, but it's got me thinking about living away from family and what that means. 

This first year was kind of a blur and I felt like our families really made the effort to fly down, spend a lot of time with us, and help us adjust to our new life, so it's just now really hitting me that we're as far away as we are. Not entirely sure why I'm having such a delayed reaction, but oh well.

Fall being just around the corner is playing a part too. It's my favorite season and it's a little weird that I won't see my family for my birthday, go apple picking with my cousins, or to think about how they won't get to see Olivia in her Halloween costume. I used to carve pumpkins with my grandparents and head over to their houses on Halloween every year, so I'm thinking about what traditions we'll start with our own little family now that we live away.


My little elephant last year.

We'll pick pumpkins, paint or carve them, drink apple cider, and trick or treat and all that, but I'm just kind of thinking about things we can do to make the seasons special and what traditions she'll remember when she grows up. 

My ideas so far:


Yeah. I need to get Pinteresting. Any suggestions for favorite Fall activities that you loved as a kid? Also, if you're in Houston and know of some great places to visit for petting zoos/pumpkin picking/corn mazes, etc. please let me know!


10 comments:

  1. Dewberry Farms is the place to be for a corn maze, buy your pumpkins. Olivia is a great age to begin enjoying what they have. It is west of Houston, but worth the drive. I'm sure other Houstonians will have great suggestions as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will definitely check that out! We don't mind a drive, and it sounds worth it!

      Delete
  2. You are too funny with yor ideas so far! Is there a MOMS Club down where you are? We joined here and I love all the activities they do in the fall. Going to farms, Halloween parties and parades, etc. it gives you a sense of community which is helpful when you don't live near family. Do all the things you did with extended family but with friends or just the three of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there are lots of clubs, etc down here and I really need to look into them. I've been a little slow with putting myself out there and I'm sure I'd get some great ideas!

      Delete
  3. I feel so ready for fall and pumpkins but this got me even more ready!! Here in TN going to pick apples at a farm is fun and feels so nice outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall is my favorite, but I'm soaking up a couple more days of Summer :) I don't know what the apple situation is in Texas...do people even do that down here? Still such a newbie!

      Delete
  4. I've heard great things about Dewberry Farms. Also, it's quite a drive out into the country, but Rocky Creek Maze in Moulton (http://rockycreekmaze.com/) is a lot of fun. We went a few years ago when we were back home for a fall visit. They had a big corn maze, a couple small kids mazes, a train, slides, corn cob shooter, rubber duck racing, cow "milking", and a lot of other fun stuff. And since it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere, there wasn't a big crowd (at least not when we were there).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the second person today to mention Dewberry, so I'm going to have to look into it for sure! The other place sounds right up Olivia's alley though and a day trip might be in order .Thanks so much for the ideas!

      Delete
  5. I live in Houston! We're moving to the Humble area and drove past Old McDonald's Farm the other day. It looks so fun... only I don't have a kiddo so it might be weird if my husband and I show up there to pumpkin pick alone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son's preschool went to old McDonald's farm around Halloween. It was fun and the kids get a free pumpkin with their admission. The houston arboretum does a big event around Halloween for members called the arBOOretum. Lots of churches do fall festivals which are open to the community. They usually have fun stuff for the kids like train rides and jumpy castles. Zoo lights is great. We went on new years with another family last year. It was super fun and a great family activity. Starting around Thanksgiving, discovery green has horse drawn carriage rides that go around downtown. Discovery green will also have an outdoor ice rink. Check out the free family day at mfah, they host it at ima hogg ' s historic mansion. Oh, and check out the Miller outdoor theater for free performances.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips