Dressing for Photos

You all know we had family photos done for my parents' 50th birthdays on Monday and while we don't like to do the whole matchy matchy thing, we like to coordinate. Since you're dying to know, we did mint and navy this time.

I literally wince (and not just because of the acne and braces) when I see photos of all my cousins and me as kids in our matching shirts photo after photo. We all hated it, and I'm sure our parents didn't have a great time sourcing a pink shirt to match, or ordering a special sweater, whatever. I tend to be the one who sets up our photos, so I try not to torture everyone with having to buy new clothes or put on something they aren't comfortable with. It's enough for my dad to show up and walk on the beach and smile when he'd rather be golfing or fishing, so we try not to press our luck.

We usually pick a color palette and let people wear whatever they want within that and it always looks nice and put together without being forced. I've put together some ideas for family photos (especially kids) just in case any of you have some coming up! With Fall around the corner and holiday cards (I hate myself for just mentioning that) to be considered, hopefully you'll find this helpful! 

A general rule for me is that we try to avoid words on shirts, feel free to play around with different shades of the same color, and mix up some solids and patterns. 

For a family photo:



I love these colored chambray shirts and I've ordered Olivia the checked dress (thanks to 40% off at Gap right now!). My husband wears boat shoes anytime he isn't at work and they can be a great casual shoe that look put together. 

For kids (because they're the most fun) I love all these as well:


The little hoodie is adorable and even though it's in the boys department, I'd totally get it for Olivia. The mustard pin tuck shirt is a color I wouldn't buy for Liv (or myself) but I think it looks really great on a lot of people and it's such a sweet little flutter sleeve top. Again, I wouldn't wear it because you need to pay attention to things like shaving with sleeves like that, but fortunately Olivia's not too worried about that. 

I love these for photos because they aren't too busy or complicated if they're patterned and they don't lock you into a seasonal "look" as much as vests or jackets or skinny strap dresses would. We had some photos done in the snow and I love them but sometimes wonder if they look a little off hanging on our walls during the Summer. As you can tell, I have big worries. Big.

If you all have any tips for photo outfits, I'd love to hear them! I'm always planning the next one in my head....

10 comments:

  1. Ha I laugh that you mention holiday cards as I already have our first family photoshoot planned with a photographer for Nov. 2nd! What can I say I like to plan! Totally agree no words on shirts and when it comes to the holidays I am a sucker for plaid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just recently obsessed with plaid, love it!!

      Delete
  2. We are having photos taken in October and will probably use one for our holiday card. I love the outfits you picked and I actually already ordered Noah the red chambray shirt! I love the idea of red for holiday pics but also worry about having them hung year round as our family photo. I wish I could have so many professional photos taken so I wouldn't have to choose ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be great?! Although getting husbands and kids to cooperate could be tough :)

      Delete
  3. Ha! I'm a photographer and felt ridiculous sending out an email to sign up for my fall photo mini session (aka Christmas card session).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems so so crazy, but with that stuff you've got to think ahead!

      Delete
  4. Hmmm Thanks for the ideas! I'm sourcing a new family photog right now...ours focuses on babies/1 yr old's- so she's filled up! It's so hot here in AZ, even in Oct/Nov....so it's hard! I want to look fall (for christmas cards etc)- but can't swealter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain! I'm going to want to wear the Fall stuff in September but will have to wait until November!

      Delete
  5. This gets me excited about CHRISTMAS CARDS!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha the annual Christmas photo is the bane of my holiday existence :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips