Behind the 'Gram

Hi. My name's Megan and I'm an insta-addict.

Tell me I'm not alone.

I just love Instagram. It's instant gratification for my nosy need to see snippets of other peoples' lives.  I have to be careful not to post every minute of my day, because I have to remember that not everyone cares about every coffee I drink or amazing sale I score at Target, over sharing isn't always the best, and honestly, not every minute of my day is "grammable". 
I know that isn't a word, but work with me.

When I say "grammable" I mean that it's not the carefully filtered, cropped, and staged photo that people like to see. Did you all read this? It's about what goes on behind the scenes of Instagram photos, and I kind of laughed all the way through. I like to think that what I put on Instagram is a reflection of my most put together, Pinterest worthy self, not necessarily a reflection of the disheveled banalities of my day to day life. Does that make any sense?

So here's some photos I'd normally consider posting and what was really happening in the background. I've only got a few because I really can't imagine you're all dying to see how messy my house is on a regular basis - let's keep the illusion alive, alright?

Freshly polished toes, my wedding shoes, and a carefully placed romper. This is me "organizing my closet". I put the wedding shoes on to see if they still fit (thanks, pregnancy) and they did...barely. I kicked them off a second after this photo was taken and turned back to my task.


Two feet away:


Nicely made bed, morning light, and a clean master bedroom...


Yeah, sure.


Got one bathroom counter all clean and organized.


Ten feet away in the next bathroom:


We found this one morning and figured Olivia had played around with this particular roll of toilet paper the evening before. This led to an in depth discussion about the statute of limitations for toddler crimes and how long between the crime and discovery of the crime is too long to administer a gentle scold. Thoughts?

Had enough of the crappy photos? Me too. 

Tell me I'm not alone, though. Tell me you guys find blueberries under your ottomans that are at least four days old, and that you wear giant sunglasses not to be stylish, but to cover the bags under your eyes and hide the fact that makeup lost out to coffee in the battle of priorities that morning. Tell me you all aren't living "grammable" lives 24/7.

36 comments:

  1. Omg these are hilarious! Glad to know we are all normal and just picking to choose the best part to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously Megan you are the best!!! I love how real you are in showing the good and bad. Also I really love how you respect your daughter's privacy. That shows how mature and confident you are that you don't need or are looking for compliments;-)
    Keep doing what you're doing on your blog. It's so fresh and nice to read;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm really glad you're reading and enjoying and I appreciate you taking the time to comment!!

      Delete
  3. What a great post! I always have to shove mess out of the way before taking a photo to instagram - thank goodness you can crop photos haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this! I am cracking up bc I have a bunch of clothing filled trash bags along the back wall of my bedroom. Did you ever see the Ryan Gosling Hey Girl that says "Hey Girl those pictures look perfect. No one will ever know the rest of the house is chaos." lol It kills me. I try my best to keep things organized. During the day when all three kids are home pulling out different toys, etc it can get a little crazy in my house! Btw I love your instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best post I've read all morning! I also love the saying "for every good selfie there's 47 failed ones"! Too great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am queen of the awkward selfie, it's more like 147 failed ones for me :)

      Delete
  6. Love love love this post! I think we all tend to get caught up in having a "grammable" life. It's so refreshing to be reminded that you aren't the only one that has a toddler wearing an oatmeal mustache, clothes on the bedroom floor, and a disheveled living room area because why would the toddler play in her designated playroom instead of bringing ALL her toys to the living room? Thanks for sharing!

    plumtickledpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome :) 85% of the time I don't wear makeup and 90% of the time my hair is up in some sort of messy bun (emphasis on the messy) so that leaves an extremely small portion of my life that I would consider "grammable" haha and I would never even dream of snapping a shot of my bedroom right now. It aint pretty. Thanks for the morning laugh!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime! I'm with you on the messy hair and lack of makeup...it's just not worth it some days between the gym, the heat, and the toddler hands that are bound to find their sticky way to you!

      Delete
  8. i love instagram, too. sometimes i have to take breaks so that i can interact with my husband more (how bad is that! hahah).

    where are your bedside tables from? i'm looking for white ones for our bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to leave my phone in the car for dinner sometimes so we can be present. I feel like it shouldn't be an effort, but technology can be so consuming! Our side tables are just old target ones I repainted white :)

      Delete
    2. yeah - it's pretty sad sometimes how much technology is involved. haha. and thank you! target is where i have been looking! i did a post recently with "reality" compared to how we make our lives seem online. so don't worry - you aren't the only one with clothes everywhere :)

      http://www.navigatingadulthood.com/2014/07/reality.html

      Delete
  9. Bahaha. This made me laugh!

    In my opinion, I think scolding for something done the day before it's worth it. It's already happen, likely she doesn't think its a big deal now (since you didn't catch her yesterday) and she may be confused why you waited so long to chastise her.

    I love a clean house. Like, it makes me feel whole and content. With a toddler, it's nearly impossible. She'll destroy the house within just a few minutes of being awake. It is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You absolutely made my day! Coffee always beats makeup in my house - no contest!
    I found a piece of green bean under the dining room rug (under? HUH?) the other day that was so old I wasn't quite sure what it was for a full minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes for coffee winning!! I feel you on the green bean. We visited my parents like a month ago and they're still finding little pieces of toast under their radiators. Jeez...

      Delete
  11. Amen sister! Love love love instagram but I always laugh thinking about the disaster that didn't fit into the 4 x 4 frame. So true but I guess that's the fun of it - you only see the small pretty shot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty sure I said this before, you make me laugh! Honestly, we try to make our life, our house, our kid and even ourselves "Grammable", not because we want others to be jealous, ok, just a little:)) but because that makes ourselves feel great, feel happy and feel sane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad someone gets a laugh out of it, Emilia! I always feel better when things are "together" but it's just not real life all the time, so it's good to embrace the mess sometimes!

      Delete
  13. All of this-- me too. Yesterday, I got a video of my son's adorable impromptu tap dance in his new birthday cowboy boots. The only reason I posted it on IG is because I could crop out my kitchen counter (not seen bottles and pump parts waiting to be washed, stacks of mail, cereal boxes that didn't get put away after breakfast) and use a filter to disguise the unswept floor.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is hilarious!!! Cause it's pretty much the same for all my Insta photos as well haha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is amazing!! I'd love to see the "ungrammable" movement become a thing!! It's always nice to see that I'm not the only person shoving a mess out of the way so that I can snap a picture of the tiny bit of organization I've actually accomplished with one free hand while holding a fussy newborn with the other!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've totally got me beat - I'm totally impressed!

      Delete
  16. haha! love this! if only I would post all of the "ungrammably" moments in my life! I bet my instagram feed would be much more "liked" than all the perfect moments that we crop & stage! ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the pretty moments for sure, but the majority of my moments aren't grammable! I always think it's just me, but I'm glad it's not!!

      Delete
  17. I laughed out loud with the bed shot. Seriously! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh my god! hilarious!! You're not alone, girlfriend! I have A LOT of this non-sense involving two toddlers in the background of mine as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahaha love this! And so true. I try to share photos of "real life" now and then on my blog because we all tend to highlight the ideal moments in our day since they are so few and far between!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips